If you need to test, please use the preparation materials provided on our website to review beforehand. Preparation is very important because your test scores will determine the number of credits it will take to complete your degree or certificate.
You must be accepted to the College prior to testing. Please bring your BHCC Student Id # with you to testing (this 7 digit number is included in your acceptance email). If you have not applied to Bunker Hill Community College or you need to check the status of your application, visit our Apply Now page.
Students who need to test will take one of two tests:
The LOEP (Levels of English Proficiency): If your first language is not English and you have not earned a high school diploma or GED in the United States, you will complete a writing assignment and take the Levels of English Proficiency Test (LOEP). The LOEP places students into an appropriate level of noncredit Basic English as a Second Language (BESL), Academic English as a Second Language (ESL) courses or College-level English coursework. Sample ESL Practice Questions to help prepare for the LOEP test.
The CPT (College Placement Test): If your first language is English, you will take the CPT, a computerized assessment of math, reading and English skills. After completing a writing sample, some English as Second Language Learners may take the CPT. Learn how to prepare for the CPT.
A number of scheduled appointments are available daily (except for August and January). To make an appointment, log on to BHCC Admissions Self Service and choose an appointment from the Events tab. On a first come, first served basis, you can walk in and test during posted testing hours.
- A photo Id is required for testing. Forms of ID that are accepted:
- University, College or School ID cards from other educational institutions
- Government-issued ID
- Company-Issued ID
- Native Tribal ID
- Temporary state ID
- Drivers Permit
- United States employment authorization card
- Testing usually takes between two and three hours. There is no time limit; you may return on another day to complete testing if needed.
- Scrap paper and pencils are provided, but telephones, calculators and dictionaries are not permitted.
- Please make alternative arrangements for childcare as children are not allowed in Testing Room and cannot be left unattended while testing.