Choosing a Program of Study, or major, is an important decision-making process for a student. Exploration allows students to discover different career paths and Programs of Study and make informed decisions regarding their career and education. BHCC Programs of Study help students understand graduation requirements, plan classes, and gain insight into career and educational pathways. Academic requirements included in the degree or certificate are designed to support students in developing necessary skills and knowledge on their path to employment or further education.
Steps for Career & Major Exploration
- Familiarize yourself with possible majors by checking out BHCC’s Programs of Study.
- Attend our Exploring Majors and Career Pathways workshops
- Try the Career Coach or MassHire CIS assessments to learn more about yourself.
- Identify 3 potential career paths and how they map to your choice of a program using Career Coach or MassHire CIS.
- Research 3-5 occupations to discover employment outlooks, required education level, and earning potential using Career Coach or MassHire CIS.
- Meet with a Career Advisor to discuss your goals
Guided Questions for Career & Major Exploration
- How can I work towards this major/career at Bunker Hill Community College?
- Will I need to transfer to another school to continue my education/training?
- What level of education (degree, certification, license) is required for this career?
- How can I learn more about the requirements for this career?
- Who can I talk to in order to learn more about this career?
- How can I gain experience relevant to my future career?
- What is the career outlook for this major/career?
- What type of jobs would be available for me with this major/career?
- What are the skills necessary for this career?