Preferred First Name in Student Records

The College fosters an environment that is inclusive and that encourages self-expression. BHCC recognizes that some students may prefer to use a first name other than their legal name to identify themselves. As long as the use of a preferred first name is not for an improper purpose, the College acknowledges that a preferred first name can and should be used where possible in the course of College business and education. Students may use a preferred first name wherever a legal name is not required on internal documents, communications, systems, and web portals. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Advising lists
  • Class rosters;
  • Diplomas, awards, and recognitions (optional, by request)
  • Email-BHCC
  • ID Cards-BHCC
  • Moodle

Legal names will only be changed when students pursue a legal name change with their home state and/or federal authorities and then submit that documentation to the Academic Records Office. A student’s legal name shall be used on all College documents, systems and communications external to the College and/or where a legal name is required. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Financial aid records;
  • Student accounts records;
  • Student personally identifiable information;
  • Student directory information;
  • Payroll records;
  • Health records;
  • Official transcript;
  • Federal immigration documents; and
  • Interactions with government agencies.

Disclaimer: BHCC will endeavor to display preferred names to the College community where feasible and will make a good faith effort to update the reports, documents, and systems that are designated to use a preferred name. In the event that your preferred name is not displaying correctly, please email or contact the Dean of Students Office at 617-228-2408