Veterinary Assistant Program
Hybrid Veterinary Assistant Program w/ a Clinical Externship (NWCA Exam Voucher Included)
Description: This 100-hour Veterinary Assistant program introduces students to the exciting and growing field of veterinary medicine. Students will learn about the care of animals as well as how to recognize signs of illness and disease. This program also covers interpersonal communication, interaction with clients and their animals, as well as how to assist the veterinarian during examinations.
Administrative duties, such as fee collection, banking, and accounts payable are also emphasized to provide the student with the skills necessary to maintain an efficient front office.
This course is asynchronous, self-paced. Although you will learn on your own through online learning and an e-book, you will have access to a course instructor and mentor to assist you in any course related questions should you need it. You should plan to spend seven hours a week studying to ensure you will complete the online portion of the course in four months. Anything less than seven hours per week will only lengthen the time to course completion.
- The online portion of this course is self-paced. Online course support is available to assist you with course content questions as needed.
- The tuition includes an e-book and The National Workforce Career Association (NWCA) test voucher, which enables you to take the career credentialing national exam. This highly desirable, portable credential enhances your resume and signifies that you have the skills employers demand.
- Although listed as Asynchronous (self-study), an instructor will be assigned to teach the class once enrollment reaches six or more students. Should this happen, classes will meet over Zoom Mondays and Wednesdays for an hour to an hour-and-a-half between 6 pm – 9:30 pm. These Zoom sessions are not mandatory, but it will be beneficial to your studies if you want to participate. You will still maintain your self-study schedule and will need to complete the online quizzes and final to successfully complete the class. With six or more students, in-person labs will take place on campus near the end of the program. You will receive communication about in-person labs if they are going to be offered. NOTE: In-person labs may be cancelled if COVID-19 regulations restrict in-person learning.
- For the in-person lab experience at the main campus, students are responsible for buying a daily parking permit to park their vehicle on campus. The daily rate is $10. Students must only park in Lots 1 or 2. Go to the APP store using your mobile phone and search for ParkMobile. Download the free ParkMobile app and enter Zone # 5850 to buy the permit. Students must use their BHCC email to buy the permit. If your lab is held at the Chelsea campus, do not use the ParkMobile app. Specific parking instructions for the Chelsea campus will be emailed to you.
- Your course start-up instructions and e-book will be emailed to you within ten days of the course start date.
- Once you register and pay for the course, you will receive your course start-up instructions along with your e-book within 10 days of the course start date. As soon as you receive the materials by email, you may begin your course. Should there be an instructor assigned to your cohort, you will receive instructions and a link to join the Zoom sessions.
- Once you complete the program you can email learner support to let them know and they will give you the NWCA voucher along with directions on how to complete it.
- This program is approved for Rapid Recovery & Reemployment (R3) grant funds. To determine if you qualify for R3 funds, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will contact you to determine your eligibility for financial assistance.
National Certification: NWCA National Certification: This program meets the necessary requirements to take the National Workforce Career Association (NWCA) Veterinary Technician (VET) Exam.
Clinical Externship: As part of this Veterinary Assistant program, you will be eligible to participate in a 40-hour clinical externship.
For more information, please view the Veterinary Assistant Program 2021 description and details (PDF)
Hybrid Veterinary Assistant Program w/Clinical Externship (NWCA Exam Included)NON-901E
Online Course: This 100-hour Veterinary Assistant program introduces students to the exciting and growing field of veterinary medicine. Students will learn about the care of animals as well as how to recognize signs of illness and disease. This program also covers interpersonal communication, interaction with clients and their animals, how to assist the veterinarian during examinations, and much more!
Your course start-up instructions and e-book will be emailed to you within ten days of the course start date. You will have access to online course support, if needed. The tuition includes an e-book, course support, and a voucher to take the National Workforce Career Association (NWCA) exam. For more details, please visit https://www.bhcc.edu/ce/careerlifelonglearning/veterinaryassistantprogram/
|Section||Dates||Days and Times||Instructor||Fee||Register|
|NON-901E-SU01||Jun 7 - Sep 13|
This course is Asynchronous
|TBA||$2,219||Registration has ended|
|NON-901E-FN01||Sep 20 - Jan 17|
This course is Asynchronous
(Ends Sep 13)