Bunker Hill Community College

Bunker Hill Community College Mobile and Tablet Version

Preferred Name Request Frequently Asked Questions

No. Only you as the student can update your preferred first name.

Yes, you can change your BHCC email address and display name, however the login ID will remain the same.

Yes, as long as it is in compliance with the Code of Conduct.

No, you do not have to specify a preferred first name. This is a service for those who wish to be known on campus by something other than their legal name. If you regularly use our legal name, then please do not submit a preferred first name request.

Complete the Name or SSN form and present to the Academic Records Office (records@bhcc.edu)  a certified copy of a court order indicating a legal name change has been granted along with an official photo ID. Examples of court orders include: a marriage license, divorce decree, and other court authorized legal name change documentation.

Notify the Director of Student Services by email at dboyer@bhcc.edu and provide your name and student ID.

By completing the preferred first name request form located on BHCC Mobile, Student Self-Service, or on the college’s website, Dean of Students Page at http://www.bhcc.edu/dos/preferrednamerequest/.

No, residency status does not affect your ability to use a preferred first name on campus.

Examples include, but are not limited to, advising lists, class rosters, and Moodle. In addition, diplomas, awards, recognitions, BHCC Email, and BHCC ID card by request. Your preferred first name will appear where legal name is not necessary.

If you have questions or would like to talk with someone to find out if indicating a preferred first name would meet your needs, please contact the Dean of Students Office.